Each Sunday at Baltimore Bible Church (BBC), the church where I worship and serve, someone from one of the small groups of our church, recites a Bible verse in front of the church. Recently it was our small group’s turn when I learned that the person scheduled to do it was sick, and I was his substitute. Here was that Sunday’s (what we call the) BBC Q&A:
Q: What will happen to sinners on the day of judgment?
A: Revelations 20:15 says, “If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire”.
As I was meditating on this verse I realized how sobering was it’s truth:
1. There is coming a day of judgment
2. Sinners will be judged.
3. There is a Book of Life
4. There will be those whose names are written in this book.
5. There will be those whose names are not written in this book.
6. There a lake of fire. The beast, the false prophet, and the devil will be thrown into the lake of fire, along with those whose name are not written in the Book of Life (Revelation 19:20; 20:10, 14, 15).
That Sunday afternoon I was also teaching those attending our church who desired to become new members. The topic was what biblical salvation is all about. One section in this teaching has to do with how to know if a person is genuinely born again and saved.
A point I made was, “Genuine regeneration is manifested by fruits worthy of repentance as demonstrated in righteous attitudes and conduct. Good works will be its proper evidence and fruit”. [Matthew 3:7-8; John 5:28-29; 15:1-6; Romans 6:1-5,17; 1 Corinthians 6:9-11; Galatians 5:19-24; Ephesians 2:10; 1 John 2:29; 3:9-10]
The Bible teaches that obedience to Christ and His Word is one of the clearest markers or proofs of one’s faith in Christ or true conversion.
- Do you love Christ?
- Do you love His Word?
- Do you regularly, faithfully and daily read His Word?
- How is your prayer life?
- Do you only pray when you need something?
- Do you share the Gospel with the lost?
- Do you regularly and faithfully gather with the saints to worship the Lord, sit under His Word, and serve using your spiritual gift?
- Who is your pastor?
- When was the last time you received the bread and the cup in Holy Communion?
- Are you discipling anyone?
- Is anyone discipling you?
- Are you giving sacrificially and proportionately (at least 10%) of your income to your local church?
These are all the basic markers of a true believer and follower of Jesus Christ.
Did you pass the test? Are you a true believer or a false convert?
Is your name written in the Book of Life? Or, will you be thrown in the lake of fire on judgment day?
As I was meditating on Revelation 20:15, some of my family and friends came to mind. You came to my mind.
Hebrews 10:24-25 says, “and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near.”
Jesus’ return is sooner than many realize. Will you be ready?